My least favorite part of my never-ending weekly task list is menu planning and grocery shopping. I love to cook, but all the planning that goes with it zaps the fun for me.
Several months ago, a friend posted on social media that she had some coupons for a free week of Blue Apron. I finally went ahead and used mine toward the end of September. Below is my honest review.
The three meals we got were Ancho Chile Chicken Tacos, Seared Steak & Roasted Potatoes, and Fresh Gnocchi & Summer Squash. I absolutely loved the recipe cards (shown below) that were included with the meals.
I’m going to be real honest, and tell you that I did not take photos of the end result, because I just was not able to pull off the look that they had in their ads. But they tasted great, and that’s what matters right?
On the plus side:
- All ingredients were super fresh, and the ice packs were still frozen solid when it arrived.
- I loved the way they portioned out all ingredients.
- The directions were fairly easy to follow.
- I tried some meals that I totally wouldn’t have come up with on my own.
- The meals meant for two fed my family of three. I eat much smaller portions, so my daughter and I were able to split probably a little less than one full portion, while my husband was able to enjoy a larger portion.
- The meals were for the most part tasty (other than the kale…..I could die happy never having to touch another piece of kale).
- My fave meal was the Fresh Gnocchi!!! I have not had gnocchi before, and it exceeded my expectations.
- You can change up the menu a bit. There are six options each week to choose from. And you can cancel any orders you don’t find appealing. The only downfall of this is that you do have to remember to log in about a week before if you don’t want the meals to auto-send.
On the minus side:
- I do feel like it is a bit pricey for just three meals each week.
- Dishes were a bit more elaborate than I would typically want to do on any given weeknight.
- I used way more dishes than I would normally use, causing much more cleanup.
Will I order Blue Apron again? Why yes….in fact, I got this at my doorstep on Friday.
Granted, it was only because I forgot to cancel it, but I’m actually pretty excited about the meals that came in this one!! And yes. I will order maybe one box a month or one every other month…definitely not every week. But it is nice to have a few days worth of meals just totally set for me. I see this being something I will just treat myself to on occasion.
Have you tried a meal delivery service? Tell me about it in the comments!
Have a question about Blue Apron? Feel free to ask in the comments, and I will do my best to answer or give you my honest opinion.
Side note – this is not an affiliate post. I do not do currently do any affiliate marketing, and all opinions expressed are my honest opinion.